At the end of the 1970s, plans were made to create a new roadway into town, one that would accommodate the rising numbers of cars which needed to enter Vejer. The Parque de los Remedios was part of theplan.
The area was named after an old chapel which stood at the point where the Avenida de Andalucía now turns to the right up to the new part of town. The main arch of this chapel, which was fatally damaged in the earthquake of 1773, is now preserved at the roundabout. It wasn't always like that - for centuries the arch was hidden amid the walls of two houses. When the houses were demolished to make way for the road, the arch was revealed.
The park emerged during a period of growth and building after the end of the Franco dictatorship, a time of optimism and a new embracing of the future. The work can be seen in this picture, which shows La Posada under construction. For a while it was the only place in town to stay overnight. But the park is still a distant prospect.
Los Remedios park was completed during the 1980s and is now a leafy, sunny place which offers many opportunities for rest, relaxation and sociability, a kind of outdoor living room for Vejer, it residents and visitors.
For example, since 2013, the entire park is a free wifi zone. But that's not all. In the park you can get fit;
Study history; (the giant storage jar was probably once used for olive oil: the millstones were part of olive-presses which once abounded in the area).